Ready in 45 minutes
Steve Reynolds' recipe and introductory text below are excerpted from author Diana Henry's book The Gastropub Cookbook, a guide to more than 150 dining pubs in Britain and Ireland. Chef Reynolds also shared some helpful cooking tips exclusively with Epicurious, which we've added at the bottom of the page.
3 people want to try | 14 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Seared Scallops with Pea Purée, Crispy Bacon, and Mint Oil"
To make the mint oil, put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz. Chill for 2 hours to let the flavour develop, then strain.
2. Cook the peas with the mint in salted, boiling water until just tender but not soft. Drain and refresh in very cold water.
3. Purée the peas in a blender until very smooth, or push through a sieve.
4. Grill the bacon, put it on kitchen paper and keep warm.
5. Heat 2 large frying pans until very hot but not smoking. Season the scallops on both sides with sea salt. Add 15 ml (1 tbsp) mild olive oil to each pan and then put in the scallops. They should sizzle. Cook each scallop for 45 seconds on each side, then remove from the pan and keep somewhere warm.
6. Whisk all the honey vinaigrette ingredients together.
7. Divide the pea purée between 6 warmed plates and place 3 pieces of bacon across each portion. Arrange 3 scallops around the purée and drizzle with the mint oil. Put some salad leaves dressed with honey vinaigrette on top.