92 people want to try | 153 have favorited
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Sift flour, measure it, add salt and sift again.
2. With pastry blender (or 2 butter knives), cut in shortening, should be the size of peas.
3. Sprinkle in cold water, 1 tbsp at a time.
4. Mix lightly with a fork until flour is moistened.
5. Dough should be thoroughly mixed until it almost cleans the side of the bowl - just enough gluten developed to give pastry structure, yet not enough to make it tough.
6. Gather dough together with hands - if it doesn't hold together, 1-2 teaspoons water may be added.
7. Press firmly into 4 balls - wrap in plastic wrap.
To roll out the dough:
1. Using plastic wrap, flatten dough with fingers into a circle.
2. Roll dough on the plastic wrap from center to outside evenly in all four directions (lifting rolling pin as it reaches the edges preventing edges from becoming too thin).
3. Roll 4 circles to about 1/8" thickness and large enough to be 1/2" beyond the edge of the tart pan.
4. Flip 2 of the the dough circles over the tart pans and gently pull off the plastic wrap - this will be the bottom pastry.
5. Gently fit and press the the dough to cover the inside of the pan.
1. Peel, core, and chop apple into small pieces.
2. Add sugar, flour and cinnamon and toss until well blended.
3. Place half of the apple filling into each of the tart pans.
4. Top with pastry using the plastic wrap to transfer the dough, trim edges and slit a hole on top. If you want a weaved top; proceed to cut the pastry in strips and overlap them in a weave design onto the plastic wrap to help transfer the onto the pie.
5. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake in a hot oven on the middle rack at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?