Savory Hot Dog Chili
Chili designed specifically to put on hot dogs in a bun. Every time we had a cookout at work, all my coworkers pleaded for me to bring this."I opted not to process the meat and still really enjoyed this. We now make this for all our kids' birthday parties. " - SLafont
Yield: 36 Servings Ready in 3 hours
favorite of 44 people 29 people want to try
|6 quartno-stick pot|
|1 silcone mixing spoon|
|3 lbground beef sirloin|
|2 mediumto large onions|
|2 canHunts tomato sauce; use 29 oz. size|
|1 cantomato paste; use 6 oz. size|
|1 packetMcCormick original chili seasoning mix; 1.25 oz.|
|1 packetMcCormick italian-style spaghetti sauce mix flavor|
|1 tbspGarlic; minced|
|1 tbspyellow mustard|
|1 tspcumin; or to taste|
|2 tspblack pepper; or to taste|
|1 tsponion powder|
|Hot dog buns; enough for 10 to 12 people to get 3|
|Toppings; whatever your group likes on them|
Savory Hot Dog Chili Preparation
1. Brown ground beef in skillet in 1 lb batches. Set aside and drain grease.
2. Process the beef as described in the notes, transfer beef to pot after processing.
3. Chop onions finely, add to pot with beef.
4. Add all remaining ingredients to pot and stir mixture with large silicone spoon until everything is nicely mixed together.
5. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to keep mixture from setting or burning. The silicone spoon and no-stick pot should minimize the risk of burning. Cooking for 1 hour should be enough but 2 hours will really allow the flavors to come out more.
6. Serve on hot dog buns with whatever toppings you like.
When blending beef after browning, do so in medium batches (about 1 lb each) in a good food processor or LARGE blender. Pulse meat 3 times for 1 to 3 seconds. The object is to reduce beef to small bits, NOT a paste. You want a nice even texture for the hot dogs.
If you end up with large chunks of beef you didn''t process it enough, if you can''t SEE the meat and it looks like a paste you processed it TOO much. Just experiment until you get a nice fine even texture. You''re the best judge of what you like.
This recipe should easily feed 10 to 12 people, and you can refrigerate it for several days. [I posted this recipe.]
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Savory Hot Dog Chili Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven