This Italian twist on a Mexican favorite brings the best of both worlds to the table--and a versatility that will transform just about any of the summer vegetables you might have on hand into a delicious appetizer or main dish."This is a recipe that is easy to put your own twist on by changing the ingredients around." - Ddangelillo
Yield: 3 Servings Ready in 40 minutes
64 people trying soon
Verified by gailwhitman
|3 wheat tortillas|
|6 ozswiss chard or spinach; chopped|
|1 summer squash or zucchini; halved and thinly sliced|
|3/4 cuponion; chopped|
|1/2 cupgreen pepper; chopped|
|3/4 cupmeat; (ham, prosciutto, cooked sausage, etc.)|
|1/4 cupgorgonzola; crumbled|
|1 tbsppesto; (green or red)|
|4 tbspolive oil|
|4 ozprovolone; thinly or deli-sliced|
|1 tbspItalian herb blend; (thyme, marjoram, oregano, basil, garlic, lemon peel|
|2 clovesgarlic; minced|
|1 pinchblack pepper|
|3 tsppesto; (garnish)|
|12 leavesfresh basil; (garnish)|
|3 tbspricotta, sour cream or plain yogurt; (garnish)|
Italian Quesadillas Preparation
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet.
2. Add onion and garlic. Sprinkle with black pepper and salt, then saute until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
3. Add summer squash, meat, green pepper and Italian herb blend and mix well. Saute for about 5 minutes to soften vegetables.
4. Add leafy greens (chard/spinach/etc.) and cook until wilted.
5. Remove meat and vegetable mixture from the skillet and set aside.
6. Assemble quesadillas in layers: provolone, pesto, gorgonzola, meat and vegetable mixture, provolone.
7. Fry quesadillas in skillet until browned and crisp, spraying them as necessary with olive oil to keep from burning.
8. Remove from the skillet, slice, and garnish with fresh basil, ricotta and pesto.
This recipe will yield 3 whole quesadillas as dinner portions, but can just as easily be served as 6 appetizer portions.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Italian Quesadillas Reviews
This is a recipe that is easy to put your own twist on by changing the ingredients around.
2 years, 2 months, 4 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes ago
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.