Habanero Tequila Cured Salmon
I love cured salmon, and this recipe is a southwestern take on the classic salmon lox.
"I was up for a challenge when I saw this, a recipe with so many ingrediants and takes 5 days to make, jeez. But the taste sure delivered. Its a plenty good fish and I would make it again."- Aimeelady
5 people want to try | 4 have favorited
|1/2 tspchili powder|
|1/4 cupcoarse salt|
|1/2 tbspblack pepper; coarsely ground|
|6 lbsalmon; either one filet or one small fish|
|5 habanero chili peppers; seeded|
|1/2 tspolive oil|
|1 bunchfresh cilantro|
|1 loaffrench bread|
|4 jalepeno chiles; finely chopped|
|1/4 cuprice wine vinegar|
|4 peaches; diced|
|1/2 red bell pepper; diced|
|2 shallots; finely chopped|
|1/2 cupcilantro; chopped|
|1/4 cupolive oil|
|fresh lime wedges|
Habanero Tequila Cured Salmon Preparation
For the fish:
1. In a food processor, combine sugar, allspice, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, habaneros, 1/2 the cilantro (leaves only) and olive oil. Puree until smooth.
2. Rinse the salmon filets. Wearing gloves to save your hands from burning for the next few days, rub the spice mixture over the salmon filets. If you are using one large filet, cut it in half so that the two halves can be stacked on top of each other.
3. In a large shallow pan (preferably glass), place one filet skin side down. Sprinkle the remaining cilantro on top of the fish, then place the other filet on top, skin side up (to make a fish cilantro sandwich).
4. Pour the tequila over the fish and cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap. Place two large cans (10-15 lbs) on top of the fish to weight it down. Refrigerate the whole thing for 5 days, turning the filet sandwich over on day 2 and day 4.
5. On day 5, when you are ready to serve your fish, cut the meat on the bias, and serve atop french bread slices garnished with creme fraiche, cilantro, lime wedges and with peach salsa on the side.
For the peach salsa:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste. For a smokier spicy taste, add 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder. Also, if you plan to keep the salsa, squeeze 1/2 a lime into the mix to keep the colors brighter.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Habanero Tequila Cured Salmon Reviews
I was up for a challenge when I saw this, a recipe with so many ingrediants and takes 5 days to make, jeez. But the taste sure delivered. Its a plenty good fish and I would make it again.
1 months, 1 weeks, 6 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes ago
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven