Dad's Stewed Chicken (Pollo Guisado)
This is a very popular dominican dish that my dad makes all the time. I usually serve it over white rice and black beans or spanish rice with pigeon peas. You will not regret making this dish. It will become an immediate favorite.
"Outstanding favors. This is easy to make and has become one of my families favorites....as promised. "- alan.gillis
160 people want to try | 180 have favorited
Dad's Stewed Chicken (Pollo Guisado) Preparation
1. Place oil and sugar into a Caldero, Dutch oven, or similar. Place on medium heat.
2. Place Chicken (bone in is recommended for flavor) in a metal bowl and wash thoroughly with lemon juice from both lemons.
3. Using tongs, place the chicken pieces on the oil and stir fry with a metal spoon for approximately 20 minutes on medium-high heat until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Check to make sure it is cooked by cutting through with your stirring spoon.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to a boil. Salt to taste.
5. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. Uncover and let the sauce thicken to desired consistency. If desired, chopped potatoes may be added to achieve consistency without over cooking the vegetables.
7. Serve with White Rice and Black Beans or with Yellow Rice and Pigeon Peas.
Make sure you cook the chicken thoroughly before putting in the rest of the ingredients. After all the ingredients are added, the longer you cook covered at low heat, the more tender the meat will be. This is preferred as it will fall right off the bone.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Dad's Stewed Chicken (Pollo Guisado) Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven