Dad's Rice w/ Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Guandules)
This is an easy to make rice that can be used to accompany any meat from a well cooked steak to Spanish Shredded Ropa Vieja to stewed clams or chicken."I love this recipe...it takes sooooooo long in the imusa pot that I use, other than that this tastes great!!! Thanks for sharing" - MrsEstrada
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 52 people 25 people want to try
Dad's Rice w/ Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Guandules) Preparation
1. Set 3 cups of water to begin boiling.
2. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat Oil.
3. Add Onions, Garlic, Olives and Capers and stir fry. Cook 2 minutes.
4. Add the Pigeon Peas, Sazon Goya and Tomato Paste. Stir well and bring to a boil. Salt to taste.
5. Add 3 cups of boiling water and bring to a boil once again.
6. Add washed rice and stir. Flatten the rice and let cook UNCOVERED until the water evaporates and the top of the rice is dry with no water bubbles forming.
7. With a large spoon, carefully bring the rice on the bottom to the top in 3-4 motions. Be careful not to disturb too much to prevent the rice from softening too much.
8. Cover and cook on Low or 1/4 flame for 20-30 minutes. DO NOT UNCOVER or the rice will not cook well. Test the rice for softness after 20-30 minutes to prevent overcooking.
9. When rice is soft and fluffy your side dish is complete.
DO NOT UNCOVER the rice while cooking or it will come out hard. Too much uncovering will make it not cook right. Trust the recipe and your rice will come out perfect. Enjoy!
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Dad's Rice w/ Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Guandules) Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven