Orzo and Shrimp with Fresh Basil
Fresh ingredients are the key to this simple dish, which takes less than 30 minutes to prepare."Made this again. I can't decide if the scallions add enough to it or not." - Inivium
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 45 minutes
14 people trying soon
Verified by SunnyJF
|1 lb.dry orzo|
|1/8 cupolive oil; plus extra for pasta and dish|
|1 largelemon; for zest and 2 tsp. juice|
|1/4 teaspooncoarse salt; or to taste|
|1/8 teaspoonground black pepper; or to taste|
|2 largetomatoes; diced|
|1/2 cupscallions; chopped (about 16 or 2 bunches)|
|10 largefresh basil leaves; or equivalent (equal to .66 oz. package sold in stores)|
|4 oz.feta cheese; crumbled|
|3/4 lb.medium shrimp; peeled and deveined|
Orzo and Shrimp with Fresh Basil Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking dish, large skillet, or cast iron pot to use for cooking the main dish. The container should have a cover and hold at least 2 quarts. Shallow containers allow for more shrimp on the top layer.
2. Begin heating to a boil enough water for orzo, about 2 quarts with a small amount of oil and a teaspoon of salt.
3. In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, add 1/8 cup olive oil. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk and diced tomatoes and chopped scallions. Chop half of the basil leaves and add to mixture. Mix together.
4. Add orzo to now boiling water and boil for 5 minutes, stirring as needed to limit sticking. Strain and add on top of other ingredients in large bowl. Sprinkle crumbled feta on top of still hot orzo. Combine all ingredients together.
5. Transfer mixture to cooking dish and smooth to create an even surface. Salt and pepper lightly, if desired. Tear remaining basil leaves into smaller pieces and distribute on top. Distribute shrimp as a single top layer, packing tightly if required. Squeeze more juice from lemon onto shrimp.
6. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
Using dried basil doesn't give the same result, but frozen shrimp can work reasonably well if that's the only option.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Orzo and Shrimp with Fresh Basil Reviews
Made this again. I can't decide if the scallions add enough to it or not.
2 years, 6 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 5 hours, 31 minutes ago