Murgh Makhani - Butter Chicken
Butter chicken seeems to fall into a couple of different categories, one involves the preparation of the ingredients without any marinade involved, the other version is more in keeping with the chicken tikka massala type of recipes.
This version is adapted from a traditional style to make it fast and easy, with ingredients available from any supermarket. (Adapted from EJones #efnet)"Yummy and pretty simple. The metric measurements seem a little out with the butter. I only use a small knob of butter and it's great. Great dish. " - Hellman
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 1 hours, 30 minutes
25 people trying soon
Verified by christianed
|100 gramsUnsalted Butter|
|1 TablespoonVegetable Oil|
|2 MediumOnions; Finely chopped|
|1 TeaspoonGinger; Grated/Chopped|
|2 TeaspoonGaram Masala|
|2 TeaspoonGround Dried Coriander|
|1 TeaspoonChili Powder|
|1 TeaspoonBlack Cumin Seeds|
|1 TablespoonGarlic; Minced|
|3 wholeBlack Peppercorns|
|150 MililitresNatural Yoghurt|
|2 TablespoonTomato Paste|
|8 Chicken Legs/Thighs; Skin and bone removed|
|2 WholeBay Leaves|
|150 MililitresThickened Cream|
Murgh Makhani - Butter Chicken Preparation
1. In a large bowl, place the Garlic, Garam Masala, Coriander, Ginger, Chilli Powder, Cumin Seeds, Salt, Cardamom Pods and Peppercorns and blend together. Add yoghurt and tomato puree and stir to combine. Add the chicken pieces to this mixture and stir to coat well. Leave to marinade - if possible overnight in the fridge, otherwise for 30-60 minutes minimum.
2. Heat butter & oil in Kukri (or a frying pan / wok)
3. Add onions and fry till golden. Remove from pan.
4. Add chicken. Continue moving until all cooked. Return the onion to the pan.
5. Add the water and bay leaves and leave to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes
6. Turn the heat off, stir through the cream and leave for 5 minutes.
7. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped fresh coriander and chopped green chillies.
Note: Indian Yoghurt is better if you can get it, but normal plain yoghurt will work. Do NOT try and use. Chicken can be cut into bite-sized pieces before marinading if desired.
If you want to make more gravy to serve with the dish, simply add a tin of puree tomato at step 5.
Pay close attention while frying the onion and chicken as if it burns it will spoil the recipe. The simmer time you can almost ignore the dish, however stirring it will help ensure nothing burns.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Murgh Makhani - Butter Chicken Reviews
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.