Ready in 45 minutes
If you like cod au gratin...you'll love this. If you think you don't...you soon will. Try it!!
"This was such a great recipe! Fixed tonight for picky mother-in-law.(turned 92 yesterday) She said it was alright (that means GREAT, I know) My husband really love it too. Im giving you a medal just because it impressed all of us. posted a pic too! I just love the recipes on Big Oven!"- aphilbeck8
347 people want to try | 394 have favorited
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 X 13" glass baking dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add about a teaspoon of salt.
2. Cook the cod fillets in the boiling salt water for 5 minutes, then drain into a colander.
3. Dice onions, celery, and carrots (mirepoix) and saute slowly in a medium saute pan with some salt, olive oil, and tarragon.
4. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Remove from heat and mix (whisk) in the flour, milk and cream to make a roux. To the roux, add salt, white and black pepper, and tarragon to taste. Add a few pinches of grated cheddar to this sauce. Return to the stove and heat over a low to medium burner until thickened.
5. Flake a layer of fish into the baking dish, then add a layer of mirepoix. Cover this layer with some of the sauce and top with a handfull of shredded cheddar. You may wish to add a little more tarragon, black and white pepper.
6. Repeat step 5 using the remaining fish, cheddar and mirepoix to add another layer. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top of the dish.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the top looks golden brown. Remove and let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
aphilbeck8 9 months agoThis was such a great recipe! Fixed tonight for picky mother-in-law.(turned 92 yesterday) She said it was alright (that means GREAT, I know) My husband really love it too. Im giving you a medal just because it impressed all of us. posted a pic too! I just love the recipes on Big Oven!
mlesher1 11 month ago
Heatherferg 1 year agoDefinitely be making this again. The flavours were delicious. Followed the recipe except when Tarragon was used, I used Dill.
justin9708 1 year agoWas delicious and so easy to make! Would recommend it to anyone. Its hearty and so rich!
id33 1 year ago1st time my family ever ate something like this and it was a smash hit!! simple, easy and so delisious I will make this again for sure!
LaCourFamily 1 year agoMy new favorite 'go to' fish dish. Even better the next day.
DevonVet 1 year agoHearty and satisfying dish! Prep steps make this an organised breeze. The second time round I used one sweet potato and one normal potato in lieu of 1/3rd the fish requirement and cheese melt crackers in lieu of bread crumbs. Very nice as well.
Harryshash 1 year agovery nice, i also made a tofu one for my vegetarian dad
tgaymon 2 years agoNew family favorite! Next time I will grate the carrots for sweetness and texture.
mikefreelove 3 years agoMade this dish for my Fiance after she had a long work week and it turned out to be just waht we were in the mood for!
sgrishka 3 years agoI really liked this delicious and gratifying dish! The recipe was straightforward and easy to prepare. It turned out very well and had a wonderful blend of flavors. Thanks for posting this.
Chez_Robert 3 years agoThe best I've ever had. VC
Chez_Robert 3 years agoAwsome!!!