Rob's Cod Au Gratin
If you like cod au gratin...you'll love this. If you think you don't...you soon will. Try it!!
"This was such a great recipe! Fixed tonight for picky mother-in-law.(turned 92 yesterday) She said it was alright (that means GREAT, I know) My husband really love it too. Im giving you a medal just because it impressed all of us. posted a pic too! I just love the recipes on Big Oven!"- aphilbeck8
277 people want to try | 315 have favorited
Rob's Cod Au Gratin Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 X 13" glass baking dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add about a teaspoon of salt.
2. Cook the cod fillets in the boiling salt water for 5 minutes, then drain into a colander.
3. Dice onions, celery, and carrots (mirepoix) and saute slowly in a medium saute pan with some salt, olive oil, and tarragon.
4. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Remove from heat and mix (whisk) in the flour, milk and cream to make a roux. To the roux, add salt, white and black pepper, and tarragon to taste. Add a few pinches of grated cheddar to this sauce. Return to the stove and heat over a low to medium burner until thickened.
5. Flake a layer of fish into the baking dish, then add a layer of mirepoix. Cover this layer with some of the sauce and top with a handfull of shredded cheddar. You may wish to add a little more tarragon, black and white pepper.
6. Repeat step 5 using the remaining fish, cheddar and mirepoix to add another layer. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top of the dish.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the top looks golden brown. Remove and let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Rob's Cod Au Gratin Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven