Cafe Au Lait Angel Food Cake
|1 cupsifted cake flour|
|1 1/2 cupssugar; divided|
|1/4 teaspoonground cinnamon|
|2 Tablespoonsinstant espresso granules; or 2T instant coffee|
|2 Tablespoonshot water|
|12 largeegg whites|
|1 teaspooncream of tartar|
|1 1/2 teaspoonsvanilla extract|
|3 largeegg yolks; lightly beaten|
|3 cups2 percent reduced-fat milk; divided|
|1 vanilla bean; split lengthwise|
|3 tablespoonsfrangelico; (hazelnut liqueur)|
|1/2 cupchopped hazelnuts; toasted|
Cafe Au Lait Angel Food Cake Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level
with a knife. Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon, stirring with a
whisk, and set aside. Combine espresso and hot water, stirring until
espresso dissolves; set aside.
3. Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until
foamy. Add cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat until soft peaks
form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks
4. Beat in espresso mixture and vanilla extract. Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture
over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with remaining flour
mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
5. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break
air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees
for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan;
cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal
spatula. Invert cake onto plate.
6. To prepare sauce, place egg yolks in a large bowl; set aside. Combine
1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan.
Gradually add 1/2 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in
remaining milk. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into the milk mixture; add
bean to mixture. Heat milk mixture over medium heat to a boil. Remove from
heat; gradually add hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly with
7. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook mixture over medium heat until thick
and bubbly (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Spoon
milk mixture into a bowl; place bowl in a large ice-filled bowl for 10
minutes or until milk mixture comes to room temperature, stirring
occasionally. Remove bowl from ice; stir in liqueur. Cover and chill
8. Remove and discard vanilla bean. Serve angel food cake with sauce, and
sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts.
The custard, a versatile dessert sauce that's also great with fresh fruit,
makes use of some of the extra egg yolks. For a fitting garnish, arrange a
few chocolate-covered coffee beans around the cake.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?