A French staple
From Laura Calder"Thanks. I had no idea how to make Bechamel sauce. The variations included at the end of the recipe: runny, thick or for soufflé.. Much appreciated.. Am making a dairy- free version using almond milk. " - JBkitch
Yield: 1 Servings Ready in 20 minutes
favorite of 13 people 5 people want to try
Bechamel Sauce Preparation
1. Steep the milk with a piece of onion or garlic and a bay leaf for 15 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
3. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk.
5. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
7. For thick béchamel, use ratio of 2 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons flour for 1 cup/250 ml milk
8. For very thick béchamel for soufflé base: 3 tablespoons butter, 5 tablespoons flour, 1 cup/250 ml milk. It makes the souflee more stable.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Bechamel Sauce Reviews
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven