1) Combine the sugar, cream, egg yolks and butter in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until mixture is thickened and bubbling gently. Add vanilla and stir.
2) Reduce heat to low and cook stirring, for for another 1-2 minutes. Add coconut and pecans; continue cooking on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
3)Remove from heat and allow frosting to cool to room temperature. Mix well.
When preparing the cake you need to set up for four mixing steps for easier preparation. Ingredients should be at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour three (3) 8" x 2" round pans.
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
2. Mix the 4 oz of chocolate with 1/2 cup boiling water, set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk and vanilla, set aside and allow to come to room temperature.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy, then add about 1/4 cup of sugar at a time, while beating at high speed, until 1 3/4 cups of sugar have been added and the color is lighter and so is the texture. This may take up to 5 or 6 minutes. When that is accomplished, beat in one egg yolk at a time until all 4 have been added. Add the melted chocolate/water mixture (make sure it has cooled down) and beat only until it is mixed in. The flour mixture should be added in 3 parts, on low speed until smooth, scraping bowl as needed.
5. In another large bowl, beat the 8 egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, adding cream of tartar, increase speed and gradually add the 1/4 cup of sugar. Beat until the peaks are stiff.
6. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
7. Spread the batter evenly among the 3 pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Let pans cool 10 minutes before turning over on cooling racks and cool completely before frosting between layers and on top and sides.
Frosting should not be cooled in the refrigerator. It can be spread when it has cooled and the cake is cool.
Please do not put cake (or frosting) in the refrigerator. It should be served at room temperature, not cool.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
There are no reviews yet for German Chocolate Cake. Be the first to review it!