|1 quartsorghum or molasses|
|1 cupgranulated white sugar|
|1 cupgranualated dark brown sugar|
|1/4 cupbaking soda; dissolved in 1/4 c warm water|
|1/2 poundcandied citron|
|1/2 poundpecans halves|
|1/4 poundcandied red cherries|
|1/4 poundcandied green cherries|
|1/2 cupground cinnamon|
|1/8 cupground cloves|
|1/8 cupground allspice|
|1/8 cupground nutmeg|
|5 poundsall purpose flour|
Leb Cookies Preparation
1. In a large stockpot, melt butter; add sorghum and sugar. Heat through but do not boil.
2. Mix soda with 1/4 c hot water, then add to butter/sorghum mixture. CAREFUL! This causes mixture to bubble up.
3. Turn down heat and let mixture cool down, but keep warm.
4. Using a meat grinder or similar (kitchen-aid attachment is fantastic), grind up candied fruits, raisins and pecans. Tip: between sticky candies, run some pecans through the grinder to clear it out. Set ground fruits/nuts aside.
5. Sift all spices together into a bowl and set aside.
6. Add ground fruits and nuts to warm butter/sugar mixture; then add the spices. Stir gently until evenly distributed.
7. Add buttermilk to mixture and blend in.
8. Slowly add flour to mixture (I usually sift flour as I add it.. Dough becomes very thick and heavy.
9. Allow dough to cool before rolling out.
TO CUT COOKIES:
1. Using a floured surface and rolling pin, roll a handfull of dough until about 1/4 inch thick (dust with flour to keep from sticking),
2. Flour cookie cutters before using, then press into dough to cut cookie shapes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease cookie sheets (or use parchment paper).
3. Place cut cookies on tray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until chewy. Be careful not to let them overbake. They can easily get too done on the edges.
4. Remove from tray and let cool on rack.
1. Mix 1 cup confectioner's sugar and 2 1/2 tablespoons water together in a wide, shallow bowl. Add 1/4 teaspoon flavoring of choice (vanilla, mint, lemon, orange, almond all work well) and any food coloring. Mix to glaze consistency. Dip cookies into icing and let dry on cookie rack. Use additional sprinkles, decorations, etc. if desired.
Makes about 12 dozen cookies.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Leb Cookies. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.