Kefir Cottage-Style Cheese
From Dom's Kefir Cheese Making website:
"There are other types of cheese that I prepared with kefir. Explained here is a fresh, sweet curd cheese, similar to cottage cheese or pannier of India. Kefir-cottage-cheese is quick and easy to prepare. Note that this is a rennet-free cheese like the majority of cheeses I prepare."
1 people want to try | 3 have favorited
Kefir Cottage-Style Cheese Preparation
1) Heat milk to about 60°C [140°F].
2) While gently stirring the milk, slowly pour kefir into the milk as a slow steady stream. Do not stir too fast or too vigorously or for too long or the curds will break apart and become un-retrievable. The curds should begin separating from the whey-- the whey should be reasonably clear and not milky. If the whey is still milky, either increase the heat, or add a little extra kefir [while very gently stirring for a short time only] until the whey becomes reasonably clear. Let sit for 2 minutes.
3) Remove curds by skimming with a strainer.
4) Place curds in either a pre-moistened cheesecloth lined colander, or in a suitable mesh-type strainer.
5) Let curds drain for about 15 minutes. Presto... that's it!
Note: A little sea salt to taste may be added to the fresh cheese. You can add sea salt to the fresh milk prior adding kefir, or, fold a little sea salt in the fresh curd in step 4. Depending on preference, 1/2 tsp sea salt per 3 cups curd is about right.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Kefir Cottage-Style Cheese. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven