Jamaican Style Peas and Rice (Red Beans and Rice)
I love this recipe! My first time making red beans and rice in 2003 and it was perfect! I've never used the pepper and I also used extra seasonings like garlic powder etc. I use the canned beans because dried beans take so long to cook!! My kids can't wait that long! :-) This is great with a stew or a curry, like chicken or goat. Whenever I bought a stew or a curry from the Jamaican restaurants back home, they automatically came with this rice. If you eat it on it's own, it may seem a bit plain.
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 2 hours, 15 minutes
92 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
Jamaican Style Peas and Rice (Red Beans and Rice) Preparation
1. Combine the kidney beans, garlic, water and salt to taste in a saucepan. Cook, covered over medium heat until tender, about 2 hours.
2. Add the coconut milk, pepper to taste, scallion, onion, thyme and whole fresh pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, remove the hot pepper. Then add the rice and stir.
4. Return to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all the liquids have been absorbed. Serve hot as a side dish.
5. * Can use 16-oz. can cooked beans instead. Drain and combine with water and other ingredients except rice. Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add rice, boil, reduce heat and cook about 20 minutes or until liquids are absorbed.
2� hours | 15 min prep
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Jamaican Style Peas and Rice (Red Beans and Rice) Reviews
Easy and came out perfect. I used the can beans to save time
8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 54 minutes ago
Easy and delicious! My family loved it.
1 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 5 hours, 56 minutes ago