This Mediterranean stew is a wonderful and hearty comfort food with a mildly spicy flavor. It is excellent on a cold night. It can be made ahead of time and keeps in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days. It is best when made a day ahead so that the flavors are completely melded together.
12 people want to try | 21 have favorited
|2 PoundsHot Italian or Ground Pork Sausage|
|1 MediumOnion (White or Yellow); Peeled and Chopped|
|3 ClovesFresh Garlic; Chopped|
|2 MediumRed Potatoes; Skins On and Diced|
|1 CupCarrots; Peeled and Diced|
|2 CupsChicken Broth|
|1 15 Ounce CanWhole Kernel Corn; Drained, Reserve Liquid|
|1 15 Ounce CanBaby Lima Beans; Drained, Reserve Liquid|
|2 15 Ounce CansGreat Northern or White Navy Beans; Drained, Reserve Liquid|
|0.5 CupsFresh Parsley; Chopped|
|2 TeaspoonsTurkish or Spanish Smoked Paprika|
|2 TeaspoonsKosher or Sea Salt|
|1 TablespoonGround Black Pepper|
|1 CupHeavy Cream or Sour Cream|
Portuguese Stew Preparation
1. Brown the sausage in an 8-quart pot. Remove the sausage and set it aside, leaving the drippings in the pan.
2. Saute the chopped onions in the drippings until tender and translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute briefly. Remove the sauteed onions and garlic and set them aside with the cooked sausage.
3. Place the diced potatoes, carrots, chicken broth and liquid from the drained vegetables in the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes just turn tender. Try not to over cook the potatoes as they will liquefy and you will have cream of potato soup.
4. Add the cooked sausage, onion and garlic back to the pot. Stir in all of the vegetables and add all of the seasonings.
5. Return to a slow boil. Cover and reduce to the lowest setting (warm) for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the whole cream (or sour cream). Cover and let the flavors meld for 30 minutes or longer.
Serve with hot, crusty French bread. Garnish with chopped green onion, a dollop of sour cream, and Sriracha chili sauce for an extra kick.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Portuguese Stew. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven