Ready in 45 minutes
This stew is old-fashioned, nothing fancy with unusual spices and flavors. It is just your typical, hearty beef stew loaded with lots of vegetables and a generous amount of red wine to give a good depth of flavor. This stew has officially become one of our favorite dishes to make on the weekends.
Recipe also available with step-by-step pictures on: http://victor-recipe.blogspot.com/2011/03/old-fashioned-beef-stew.html
15 people want to try | 33 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Old-Fashioned Beef Stew"
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the stewing beef until all sides are brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside. Repeat process with the remaining ones.
2. Add in carrots, celery and onion and cook until onions are transparent, about 5 mins.
3. Add in garlic and sprinkle vegetables with flour. Cook for 1 min. Stir often.
4. Gradually stir in beef stock and red wine. Stir in tomato paste, parsley, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
5. Return browned beef to the pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
6. Stir in potatoes. Add more stock if necessary. Cook until both the meat and potatoes are tender, about 45 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Long simmering time means soft and tender beef. If fresh herbs are not available, use 1/2 tsp dried thyme and 1/2 tsp dried rosemary.
There are no reviews yet for Old-Fashioned Beef Stew. Be the first to review it!
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!