Best Strawberry Shortcakes
Verified by stevemur
|For the strawberries|
|2 poundStrawberries; sliced|
|3/4 teaspoonVanilla extract|
|For the shortcakes|
|2 cupsAll-purpose flour; bleached|
|1/4 cupSugar; divided|
|1 tablespoonBaking powder|
|6 tablespoonButter; unsalted, chilled, cut up|
|1/2 cupButtermilk; chilled|
|1/2 cupHeavy whipping cream; chilled|
|For the whipped cream|
|1 cupHeavy whipping cream; chilled|
|2 tablespoonPowdered sugar|
|1/2 teaspoonVanilla extract|
Best Strawberry Shortcakes Preparation
1. Coarsley mash 1 1/2 cups off the strawberries with 1/3 cuo sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining berries and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla. Let stand at room temperaure.
2. Heat oven to 425F. Line large baking sheet wut parchment paper or foil. Whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl. With pastry blender or fingertips, cut butter into flour mixture until soze of small peas. Combine buttermilk and 1/2 cup cream; stir into flour mixture just until dough forms.
3. Spoon dough into 8 mounds about 2-3" apat on a baking sheet. Pat into 3" rounds about 1" thick; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
4. Bake for 10-12 ,inutes or until shortcakes are golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack until slightly warm.
5. Beat all whipped cream ingredients in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Split shortcakes, fill with berries and whipped cream.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Best Strawberry Shortcakes. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven