Rainbow Superfood Salad with Mackrel
|3 Medium Beetroot; Unpealled|
|6 Vine rippend Tomatoes; Halfed Lengthways|
|8 TablespoonsOlive Oil|
|1 Butternut Squash; about 600g - 3cm dices|
|2 clovesGarlic; Chopped|
|2 TablespoonsLemon Juice|
|200 GramsChestnut Mushrooms|
|150 GramsRed Cabbage; Finely Shredded|
|60 GramsFresh or Frozen Peas; if fresh use 250g Unshelled pods|
|3 tablespoonsToasted Seeds|
|30 GramsAlfalfa Sprouts; (about half a punnet)|
Rainbow Superfood Salad with Mackrel Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c.
2. Lay the cut side of the tomatoes upwards on a roasting tray. Sprinkle with salt, and drizzle liberally with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put them into the oven for about 1 hour on the lowest shelf.
3. Put the cubes of butternut squash on another baking tray and roll them in a little olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast them in the oven on a higher shelf than the tomatoes for about 45 minutes, giving them an occasional turn so that they get roasted all over.
4. When these veggies are done leave them to cool.
5. Whilst they are cooking, put the quinoa into a pan, cover in generously with water, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the water is absorbed. The quinoa should look like it has sprouted little tails and it should be soft.
6. In another pan, bring some salted water to the boil, then drop the broccoli florets into it for 4 minutes. At the same time add the peas (fresh or frozen) for the same length of time. When the broccoli is cooked (bite tender) drain the peas and broccoli. Run them under cold water to cool (this helps them keep their bright colours).
7. As final prep work, put a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a small frying pan and heat up. Once hot, throw in the sliced mushrooms, shake about a bit, then season wel with salt & pepper and add the lemon juice. They should cook sufficiently after about 4 minutes.
8. Then it time to assemble the Rainbow Superfood Salad. You could try to stick to the Rainbow colour order (red, orange, yellow, green....) but I came a bit unstuck for blue, indigo and violet ;=) The order I used was: red cabbage, beetroot, broccoli, peas, mushrooms, quinoa, butternut squash, tomatoes and toasted seeds.
Allegra McEvedy recommends serving this by 'seasoning from a height and dress sharply'.
The sharp dressing I used was my Nigel Slater old faithful: 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and 5 tablespoons of olive oil, with Malson salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (or added from a height!).
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Rainbow Superfood Salad with Mackrel. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven