Fiesta Chicken and Rice Skillet
This dish is good by itself, but it tastes even better with traditional Southwestern condiments--avocado, sour cream, pickled jalapeno, cilantro, lime wedges and even flour tortillas.
Yield: 4 Servings Ready in moments
favorite of 3 people 5 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
|4 eachchicken breasts; boneless, skinless|
|1/4 cupvegetable oil|
|1 cuplong grain rice; NOT minute or par-cooked|
|1 mediumonion; chopped|
|4 clovesgarlic; minced|
|1 teaspoondried oregano|
|1 teaspoonchili powder|
|1/8 teaspooncayenne powder|
|14 1/2 ouncediced tomatoes; undrained|
|1 mediumgreen bell pepper; chopped|
|1 1/4 cupschicken broth|
|1 cupMexican style cheese; shredded|
|4 eachgreen onions; thinly sliced|
Fiesta Chicken and Rice Skillet Preparation
1. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil shimmers, add the chicken and cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large plate, leaving the fat in the pan. (chicken will not be cooked through)
2. Add rice, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is sizzling and toasted and the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes, reducing heat if onion browns too quickly.
3. Stir in garlic, oregano, chili powder, and cyaenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, green pepper, and broth and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits.
4. Neslte the chicken, browned side up, into the rice and pour in any juices accumulated on the plate. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
5. Working quickly, transfer chicken to cutting board and cover loosely to keep warm. Stir the rice, replace the cover and continue cooking until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Slice the chicken breast into 1/2-inch pieces.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the reserved chicken, the cheese and the green onions. cover and let stand until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Fiesta Chicken and Rice Skillet. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven