9 people want to try | 18 have favorited
1. Mix dry rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle rub all over ribs, rubbing it into the meat. Let sit for 60 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the mop and sauce by sauteing the bacon in a skillet over medium low heat until browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels, reserving the fat.
3. Transfer half the fat to a small saucepan (reserve remaining fat in skillet). Add 1/2 cup apple juice and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat. This is the mop.
4. To the remaining fat in the skillet add the remaining 1/4 cup apple juice, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, the Worcestershire, ancho, paprika, cumin, celery seed, and pepper. Cook over medium low, whisking until smooth. As soon as it simmers, remove from the heat. This is the sauce.
5. Grill the ribs over indirect 300(F) degree heat, using the soaked hickory chips, for 1 hour. Baste with the mop sauce. Continue to cook the ribs this way, mopping every 45 minutes, until the meat separates and tears easily near the middle of the rack and the meat has shrunk away from the bone 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Using an upright rib rack will help with space. Be sure to flip the ribs half way through smoking.
6. Alternately, place the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet, pour the mop sauce in the pan, place a sheet of parchment over the ribs, then seal tightly with foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Flip the ribs over and bake for another 2 1/2 hours, or until tender. (can add liquid smoke to the mop and sauce for extra flavor).
7. As each rack is fully cooked, lay it on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Lightly brush the ribs on both sides with the sauce, then wrap each rack individually in the foil. Let them sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Unwrap, cut into individual ribs, and serve warm.
Step #7 is very important for juicy, tender ribs. Do not skimp on it.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
jadeandraybrooks 4 months ago
BigCookGeorge 1 year agoFamily loved it i loved it gonna make it more often