Ready in 45 minutes
A very fresh ravioli pasta toss. This is great for a lighter lunch or excellent as part of a big meal. Leftovers are great!
"This is so simple but such a treat! A fresh tomato sauce with artichokes (I never liked the jarrred, marinated artichokes until I tried this dish!) is refreshing and delicious. The original recipe I got didn't include the basil, but it screams for the extra freshness. Yum!"- kicaza
Top-ranked recipe named "Cheese Ravioli with Fresh Tomato and Artichoke Sauce"
1. Prepare the tomatoes: blanch, peel, seed and chop. (I put the tomatoes and garlic cloves in my small food processor to make quick work of this).
2. Cook the ravioli according to package directions.
3. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce: In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 TB oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, artichokes, green onions, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are warmed through. Remove from heat.
4. Drain the pasta well. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with 1 tsp. olive oil. Add half of the sauce to the ravioli, toss gently to mix. Transfer ravioli to a serving platter. Pour remaining sauce over ravioli.
Garnish with Parmesean cheese and basil.
If you don't like the process of peeling/seeding tomatoes, this dish can be made with a can of diced tomatoes (recipe calls for pound of tomatoes, so one can should be good).
BUT - it's really not hard at all to make a fresh sauce ! Here's the steps I follow:
- Bring water to boil in a dutch oven
- Drop the tomatoes in for a few seconds each
- Cut an X in one end of the tomato - the skin will fall off easily (this part is kind of fun!!)
- Cut in half and use your fingers to swipe out the seeds
Once the tomatoes come out of the boiling water, add about a teaspoon of olive oil (helps prevent sticking) and drop the raviolis in. Most need to cook 7 or minutes. If they're done before your sauce is ready, drain them and put them into your serving dish, and toss with another teaspoon of olive oil - they may get stuck together otherwise.
kicaza 2 years agoThis is so simple but such a treat! A fresh tomato sauce with artichokes (I never liked the jarrred, marinated artichokes until I tried this dish!) is refreshing and delicious. The original recipe I got didn't include the basil, but it screams for the extra freshness. Yum!