Scandinavian Rye Bread
This is a delicious healthy rye bread native to the south western archipelago of Finland. It is a great bread to use for Swedish open sandwiches.
Yield: 1 Servings Ready in 3 hours
favorite of 4 people 2 people want to try
Scandinavian Rye Bread Preparation
1. Warm the buttermilk so that it is lukewarm. Add the yeast to the buttermilk and stir until dissolved. Pour in the maple syrup and set aside.
2. In another bowl mix the plain flour, wheat bran, rye flour, rye malt, linseeds and salt.
3. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the bowl with the flour and stir until consistent - approximately 2 minutes. The dough does not require kneading and is supposed to be rather wet.
4. Transfer the dough into a 1 litre bread tin and cover. Let rise for about 1 and a half hours.
5. When risen, put in oven heated to 175 degrees Celsius for a further 1 and a half hours.
6. Remove the bread from the tin and let cool on an oven rack.
Some of the ingredients may be hard to come by. Wheat bran can be found in either the cereal or health care aisle of your local supermarket, but you may need to go to a specialist store to find the rye flour and rye malt. I bought the rye malt at a local home brewer supply store. The bread is supposed to a sweet flavour to it but I've found that some people prefer the bread without the maple syrup, in which case you should replace it with some more butter milk.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Scandinavian Rye Bread. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: