Layered Zucchini Ground Beef Casserole
When zucchini are in full season this is a great recipe that not only uses it up but it's really delicious. I found this recipe on Diana's kitchen site and have altered it to my own tastes."I really enjoyed this dish! I used dried herbs instead of fresh, 1 tsp each. And I used multigrain rice instead of brown rice. I think this gave it the texture it lacks in the original recipe." - Shawna23
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 45 minutes
93 people trying soon
Verified by twojocks
|4 cupszucchini; thinly sliced|
|2 Tblsp.Olive oil|
|1/2 cuponion; finely chopped|
|2 - 3 clovesgarlic; minced|
|1 poundGround beef|
|1 Tblsp.Fresh oregano; finely chopped|
|1 Tblsp.Fresh basil; finely chopped|
|1 Tblsp.Fresh thyme; finely chopped|
|1/4 Tsp.Black pepper|
|1 1/2 cupscooked brown rice|
|14 ouncecan tomato sauce|
|1 cupRicotta Cheese|
|1 cupsharp Cheddar cheese|
Layered Zucchini Ground Beef Casserole Preparation
- Put the zucchini in a bowl and toss with a small bit of salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet and add the olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. You may wish to drain the meat but not necessary.
- Add oregano, basil, pepper and a touch of salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in your cooked rice and tomato sauce.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and the egg.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease it.
- Layer half of the zucchini at the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Layer the meat/rice mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Spread your ricotta mixture on top of the meat mixture.
- Layer the rest of the zucchini on your ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Let sit for 5 minutes ... serve and enjoy!
You may want to add a little more tomato sauce or a bit of tomato juice to your meat mixture but do not add much more or it will be quite runny. This is the type of dish that you can also adapt your own herbs and seasonings to depending on your taste.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Layered Zucchini Ground Beef Casserole Reviews
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.