Hacienda Sugar Shack Texas Style Chili
|1/4 cupbacon grease|
|3 poundsTri-Tip Meat; (If expensive can substitute out 2 lbs Tri-tip and 1 lb of ground sauage|
|1 largeWhite Onion; chopped|
|3 largeJalepeno or Serrano peppers; stemmed, seeded and chopped|
|5 Garlic cloves; minced|
|2 cansHatch Green Chili's|
|5 tablespoonsChili powder|
|1 tablespoonHot Rib Rub; (optional)|
|2 teaspoonsMexican Oregano|
|1 teaspoonGround black pepper|
|1 canLight Red Kidney Beans|
|1 bottleShiner Bock Beer|
|2 OzTequila; (you can use Mescal for more smokey flavor)|
|2-3 small cansChipotles, canned in adobo sauce; (use 1 can for less spice)|
|2 cupsBeef Stock|
|2 cupsChicken Stock; (add 1 cup more if chili is too thick during last hour)|
|1 tubeSour Cream|
|1 bagFritos or gold fish; (optional)|
Hacienda Sugar Shack Texas Style Chili Preparation
1. In a large heavy pot (such as a cast iron Dutch oven), heat the fat or oil over high heat. Add the meat and sear, stirring, until no longer pink. Lower the heat to medium-high
2. Add the onions, jalapenos, garlic, chiles, and chili powder, and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are wilted and start to color, 4 to 5 minutes
3. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add the beer and tequila and cook, stirring, to deglaze the pan, then add can of beans
5. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce and 4 cups of the stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender, 2 to 3 hours, adding the remaining cup of stock as needed if the chili becomes too dry or thick. When the meat is tender and the chili is ready.
6. Remove from the heat and correct the seasoning, to taste. Skim any fat from the surface.
Ladle into bowls and garnish each with cilantro, chopped onions, and a dollop of sour cream.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Hacienda Sugar Shack Texas Style Chili. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.