Grits & Greens Casserole
From Eating Well Magazine: Here we’ve combined two favorite Southern side dishes—grits and greens—into one casserole; it’s a natural choice to serve with Easter ham. Try omitting the bacon and using vegetable broth to make it a vegetarian dish.
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 1 hours, 15 minutes
favorite of 8 people 12 people want to try
Verified by twojocks
|4 slicesbacon; optional|
|2 teaspoonsExtra virgin olive oil|
|1 smallonion; diced|
|4 clovesgarlic; minced|
|2 cupsreduced sodium chicken broth; or veggie|
|16 cupscollard or kale greens; chopped, stems removed (about 1 1/2 lbs)|
|2 cupswater; plus more if needed|
|1 cupGrits; not instant|
|3/4 cupextra sharp Cheddar cheese; divided|
|1/4 cupprepared salsa|
|1 largeegg; lightly beaten|
Grits & Greens Casserole Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Place bacon (if using) in a large Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until crispy, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off the bacon fat.
4. Return the pot to medium-low heat; add oil, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and starting to brown in spots, 2 to 8 minutes (cooking time will be quicker if you started with bacon). Add 1 cup broth and salt; bring to a boil over high heat. Add collards (or kale); stir until wilted down to about one-third the volume and bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat during cooking to maintain a simmer, and add water, 1/4 cup at a time, if the pan seems dry.
5. Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water and the remaining 1 cup broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Pour in grits in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking often, until thick, about 5 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup cheese, salsa and egg in a small bowl. Remove the grits from the heat and quickly stir in the cheese mixture until combined.
6. Working quickly, spread about half the grits in the prepared baking dish. Top with greens, spreading evenly. Spread the remaining grits over the greens. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and the reserved bacon (if using).
7. Bake the casserole until hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 400°F until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
There are no reviews yet for Grits & Greens Casserole. Be the first to review it!
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: