Stuffed Bell Peppers
I got this recipe from the Kitchen Diva on Dr. Oz's TV show. I have altered it slightly to my tastes."This was delicious and quite filling with just one half! I used feta cheese instead of cheddar on half of mine." - Kocokatie
Yield: 8 Servings Ready in 2 hours
favorite of 14 people 14 people want to try
|8 red, yellow, and orange bell peppers|
|2 tablespoonscanola or olive oil; divided|
|1 onion; medium sized, chopped|
|4 clovesgarlic; peeled and minced|
|1 teaspoonground black pepper|
|1 tablespoonchili powder; may substitute cayenne pepper|
|1 tablespoonground cumin|
|1 poundturkey sausage; removed from casing (I use ground turkey.)|
|1 canRo-tel; or salsa|
|1 packagechopped spinach; (10 oz) , thawed & squeezed|
|1 cupquinoa; cooked (protein), may substitute extra brown rice|
|1 cupbrown rice; cooked|
|1 cupcheddar cheese; low-fat, shredded|
|1 avocado; lg, peeled & sliced|
|1/2 cuplow-fat Greek yogurt; or sour cream|
|1/4 cubasil leaves; fresh, finely chopped|
Stuffed Bell Peppers Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise.
3. Remove white pithy ribs.
4. Place peppers in shallow 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
5. Drizzle peppers with 1 tablespoon of oil.
6. Cover with foil & bake 15 to 20 minutes, until they start to soften.
7. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in lg skillet over medium heat.
8. Saute onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, & cumin.
9. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
10. Add sausage to the skillet.
11. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
12. Add salsa & spinach.
13. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
14. Remove skillet from heat & stir in cooked brown rice and quinoa.
15. Fill pepper halves with turkey mixture.
16. Cover dish with foil & bake 20 to 25 minutes.
17. Remove foil & sprinkle cheese over the top.
18. Return to oven & bake, uncovered, until cheese melts, about 7-10 minutes.
19. Top peppers with a heaping tablespoon of yogurt.
20. Place slices of avocado on top of each pepper.
21. Sprinkle with basil.
22. Serve immediately.
(Makes 8, 2 half, servings.)
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Stuffed Bell Peppers Reviews
This was delicious and quite filling with just one half! I used feta cheese instead of cheddar on half of mine.
5 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 16 hours, 36 minutes ago
There are no tags on this recipe. Log in to add tags.
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: