Ready in 1 hour
This native Brazilian stew is light and hearty. Very sweet from the coconut milk and not spicy at all contrary to what some might think about Brazilian cuisine. It can easily be made with only fish, or only shrimp as well.
"Delicious. Served it over quinoa and the sauce was so flavourful the quinoa was fine plain"- VAdair
87 people want to try | 89 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Brazilian Fish Stew (Moqueca)"
1. Marinate fish and shrimp in bowl with lime juice, 6 cloves garlic (2 tbsp prepared), 1 tbsp kosher salt and 1 1/2 tsp black pepper.
2. Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add red onion, 2 cloves garlic (1 tbsp prepared), red pepper and cook until soft (4-5 minutes).
3. Add tomatoes and cook another 3-4 minutes.
4. Add vegetable stock, coconut milk, paprika, hot sauce, chili powder, 1 tbsp kosher salt, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper and bring to a small boil reducing the soup (10 minutes).
5. Drain fish and shrimp of the lime juice and add to soup, cooking another 10-15 minutes.
6. Make 1-2 packages of prepared spanish rice for the soup based on if you prefer a little or a lot of rice with your soup. Feel free to add an extra 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 2 tbsp butter, as most prepared rices are created to be on the more bland side and this soup screams big bold flavor.
7. Place a large spoonful of rice in the center of the bowl and ladle 5-6oz of soup over the top, garnish with cilantro and serve.
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
VAdair 6 months agoDelicious. Served it over quinoa and the sauce was so flavourful the quinoa was fine plain
Erincpeters 1 year agoVery flavorful, and easy to make. We served over brown rice. Thanks for the recipe!
chefdionblock 1 year ago