Ready in 45 minutes
Try this California Roll (Hand-Wrapped Sushi) recipe, or contribute your own. "Lemon" and "Lime" are two of the tags cooks chose for California Roll (Hand-Wrapped Sushi).
"One of the best "entry-level" sushi recipes around. Give it a try; you'll be amazed how quickly these sushi rolls disappear at parties, and you may be surprised how inexpensive, nutritious and attractive it is when you make it yourself. (Note: Many grocery stores now have nori that is already toasted.)"- stevemur
299 people want to try | 623 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "California Roll (Hand-Wrapped Sushi)"
1. Rinse rice until water is almost clear; drain in colander 1 hour.
2.Meanwhile, peel ginger and cut into paper-thin slices. Soak in boiling water for few seconds, drain. Combine 1 tb sugar, 4 tb vinegar and 1/4 ts salt; add ginger and let stand 30 minutes. This is for rice after soaking. Blend wasabi with 1 ts water in a small bowl; turn upside down to enhance flavor. Cut lemon or lime in wedges; set aside.
3. Wipe konbu with a damp cloth, being careful not to wipe off white substance; cut crosswise into 4 pieces. Combine rice, 2 cups water,konbu and sake in rice cooker pot; cook according to manufacturers directions. Remove kombu just before water boils. (If rice cooker is not available, combine above first four ingredients, not wasabi or lemons, in a large stainless or iron saucepan with tight fitting lid. Cover pan; bring to boil over high heat. Just before water boils, remove konbu. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.) Mix rice with large wooden spoon or spatula using folding motion to seperate kernels. Insert dry towel under lid to absorb moisture; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine 3 tbsp. sugar, 5 tbsp. vinegar and 1-1/2 tsp salt. Turn rice out into large non-metal bowl, separating kernels. Pour vinegar mixture evenly over rice; gently but thoroughly fold in to combine. Cover bowl with damp towel until ready to use.
4. Mix eggs lightly with 2 tsp. sugar, mirin and dash of salt. Heat oil in skillet; pour in egg mixture to evenly cover the bottom of pan. Cool until set. Turn out onto cutting surface; cool; Cut into strips 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
5. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tail on. Thread toothpick or skewer from head to tail of each shrimp to prevent curling. Cook 1 to 2 minutes in small amount of boiling water mixed with a dash of salt and sake. Drain. When almost cool remove skewers.
6. Cut cucumber, tuna, sea bream, and salmon into strips simular to egg strips. 7. Cut toasted nori into quarters. (To toast nori, hold rougher side 2 or 3 inches from medium heat over range element until crispy, glossy and lighter in color.)
8. Arrange seafood, eggs, cucumber, ginger, wasabi and lemon wedges on large platter, Turn rice out into serving bowl with 1 or 2 small wooden spoons or spatulas. Place Nori in basket. Serve with soy sauce and explain below. Put about 1 tbsp. of sushi rice on sheet of nori, add ingredients and condiments of choice and wrap in nori. Hold wrapped sushi in hand and dip into soy sauce and eat. Recipe by Kikoman Soy Sauce Typos by Val-anne Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #838 by valerie~~at;nbnet.nb.ca (valerie) on Oct 12, 1997
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
NikolasDean 7 months ago
Bikerdad 1 year agoVery tasty and instructings was good. Me and a ladyfriend made this together and had much fun. We both liked the tastes a lot.
CobraqCainq 3 years agoOmg! It was great but afterwards I laid a big Lincoln Log and used all of the toilet paper due to a temporary case of disentary. Thanks alot!
CCheryl 4 years agobest recipe for sushi for sure, CCheryl
townsendtom 7 years ago
stevemur 9 years ago[I made edits to this recipe.]
stevemur 10 years agoOne of the best 'entry-level' sushi recipes around. Give it a try; you'll be amazed how quickly these sushi rolls disappear at parties, and you may be surprised how inexpensive, nutritious and attractive it is when you make it yourself. (Note: Many grocery stores now have nori that is already toasted.)