A hardy and filling soup thats high in flavor and diabetic friendly
1. Put the sausages in a soup pan with the olive oil; brown on all sides over medium heat. Cover the pan and cook, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Pierce the sausages and let them drain a bit in the pan, then remove and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin slices.
2. Put the onion, garlic and carrot into the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the lentils, broth, water, tomatoes, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and continue cooking the soup, covered, at least 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Stir in the sausage. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of greens and cook and additional 5 minutes.
5. Adjust seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
Serve garnished with a garnish of greens on top.
I made sourdough garlic bread with this and it was delicious.
Adapted from recipe by CeCe Sullivan of The Seattle Times.
Each (1 1/2 cup) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 213, FatCals: 54, TotFat: 5g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 1g, MonoFat: 2g
Chol: 24mg, Na: 627mg, K: 690mg
TotCarbs: 26g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 4g
NetCarbs: 17g, Protein: 15g
Analysis does not include the garlic bread
This was particularly good with garlic bread.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (313g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 137 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15.2g||20 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.3g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 34.5mg||11 %|
|Sodium 530.9mg||18 %|
|Potassium 735.5mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.8g||35 %|
|Sugars, other 16.2g|
|Protein 14.6g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 292
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.