1. Preheat oven to 400. Place almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let almonds cool.
2. Reduce oven temperature to 350. Place the cooled almonds and the cornstarch in bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
3. Butter two 6-inch-round layer-cake pans. Line pans with parchment paper, and butter again. Flour pans, and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together egg yolks and vanilla. With mixer on high speed, gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until pale, thick, and light, about 5 minutes. Transfer egg-yolk mixture to a large bowl; set aside. Wash and dry mixer bowl and attachment.
5. Place egg whites and salt in the clean mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase the speed to high, and gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy, about 4 minutes.
6. Fold the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. In three additions, fold the reserved ground-almond mixture into this new mixture. Divide the batter between the two prepared pans, and smooth the tops with an offset spatula.
7. Bake cakes until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool, about 25 minutes. Turn out cakes, and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
Makes two 6-inch-round layers
Toasting the almonds gives this sponge cake a golden color and a nuttier flavor.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Recipe (1175g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1|
|Calories from Fat: 987 (35%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 109.7g||146 %|
|Saturated Fat 32.2g||161 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 46.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 16.5g|
|Cholesterol 3202.6mg||985 %|
|Sodium 1056.7mg||36 %|
|Potassium 1379.7mg||36 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 367.7g||108 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.7g||27 %|
|Sugars, other 361g|
|Protein 106.4g||152 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2841
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.