Top-ranked recipe named "Apple Pecan Rice & Bread Turkey Stuffing"
Turkey stuffing for those of us who used to hate stuffing. I started making this dressing many years ago and it's always been a hit. Can be prepared the day before and then baked with Turkey the next day. For a vegetarian version use Knorrs vegetable cubes prepared in water to replace chicken broth.
"This is my favorite turkey stuffing recipe. I've been making it for years and it's always a hit."- KCinAZ
1. In a very large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter over low heat. Add rice and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes until onions and celery are slightly tender. Add chicken broth, salt and Cavendars Spice. . Bring to a boil. Cover pan tightly, lower heat to maintain slow boil, and continue to cook 15 minutes (rice will not be fully cooked). Rice will be soft and of a thick soup consistency.
2. Remove rice mixture from heat and mix in bread croutons, canned mushrooms, apples and pecans. If your pan is not large enough then combine rice and bread mixture in a mixing bowl large enough to handle all the ingredients.
3. With a large spoon, mix bread and rice together along with other ingredients until well blended. I like my stuffing to be of a slightly dry texture prior to adding to the bird. After combining all the ingredients, I then slowly add more chicken broth and continue to turn the stuffing until I reach my desired consistency which is loose and slightly moist. If you like your stuffing more on the dry side, then leave the texture loose and slightly moist. If you like your stuffing soft and thoroughly moist, like bread pudding, then continue to add broth until the bread and rice begin to pack together into a slightly tight and soft consistency.
(If prepared the day before: place 1/2 of dressing in a one gallon bag and the remaining in a baking dish. Refridgerate until following day.)
4. Fill the cavity of a medium sized turkey or large roasting chicken with lightly packed dressing and allow to overfill a little. Fill the breast pocket if the turkey with more dressing as well and make sure to tuck and secure the skin with a metal or wooden skewer. When you begin to brown the bird, cover the dressing with foil so that it will not burn, but is brown and slightly crunchy on top. Bake according to Turkey Recipe instructions.
5. Place any remaining stuffing in a covered clay baking crock. Cover and refrigerate baking dish until the final hour before dinner then bake in 350 oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove the cover from the baking crock for the last 15 minutes of cooking so that it can crisp a little on the top.
7. Serve hot in baking dish.
See Turkey with Apple Pecan Dressing for finished Turkey Recipe.
To make for vegetarian, substitute Knorrs vegetable broth cube in same liquid water measure instead of chicken broth and bake all in baking dish instead of inside turkey or poultry.
Make sure not to overcook the rice mixture prior to mixing with the bread. If the stuffing cooking in the baking dish gets too dry while baking you can always add extra chicken or vegetable broth to make it more moist.
KCinAZ 3 years agoThis is my favorite turkey stuffing recipe. I've been making it for years and it's always a hit.