Mix well. Allow the dough to sit for 5 minutes. Then form into 4 flattened balls about 3.5 inches in diameter and .75 inches thick and brush with oil. Then cook using one of the following methods. In all cases the arepas are done when they have a stiff outer crust and sound fairly hollow when thumped.
1) Using an arepa cooker on the stove top. Place over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes for the first side and 3 minutes for the second. If using an electric cooker, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
2) Using a baking sheet and regular oven. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
3) Using a griddle on the stove top. Cook on high heat until crusted (about 5 minutes), then flip and crust the other side. Then continue to cook on medium heat until done (flipping frequently).
4) Combo method. Crust the arepas as in option 3 and then bake until done in option 4.
5) Fry in 2 cups of oil heated over medium heat in a deep pan or deep fat frier. Fry for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown on all sides.
For more information about acquiring the cornmeal for Arepas, check out http://venezuelancooking.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/la-arepa/
If you want to get an arepa cooker, checkout the information at http://venezuelancooking.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/cool-tool-thursday-6/
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (0g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (NaN%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 0mg||0 %|
|Potassium 0.4mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0g|
|Protein 0g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
BigOven Pro required
Eat healthier with nutrition info.
Calories, carbs, protein, sodium, fiber and more - easily calculate from any recipe.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, menu plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe