1. Melt butter in pan on medium-high heat.
2. Add shallot. Cook until slightly translucent.
3. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add to pan and brown.
4. Stir in tomatoes and beef stock. Season with garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, Swiss Chard, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir in red wine. Sprinkle with aromatic bitters.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
6. While stew is cooking, chop up carrots and celery. I prefer to leave the skins on my carrots because they have a better flavor that way. Drain mushrooms and rinse. Add the garlic from the mushrooms to the pot. Set aside the chopped ingredients until timer is done.
7. Add carrots and celery and cook for ½ hours.
8. Add mushrooms and stir to mix. Add new potatoes on top to last 1/2 hour of cooking. Cook for ½ hour.
9. At the end of the last ½ hour, whisk up ¾ c. water and 3 T. Flour (like making scrambled eggs) in a 1 cup measuring cup. Push all the ingredients to side of Dutch oven and pour flour mixture in open hole. Heat to boiling and whisk 3 minutes till gravy is tight. You may want to tip Dutch oven to get all the juices combined and/or add some browning sauce like “gravymaster”. Boil and stir 3 minutes. Let rest, and stir gently to combine.
10. Pour over wide egg noodles if potatoes were omitted.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (339g)|
|Recipe Makes: 19|
|Calories from Fat: 75 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8.3g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.7g||19 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.4g|
|Cholesterol 28.5mg||9 %|
|Sodium 218.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 1076.7mg||28 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.9g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4g||21 %|
|Sugars, other 31.5g|
|Protein 11.9g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, menu plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe