Top-ranked recipe named "Beef Stew with Mushrooms and Red Wine"
1. Melt butter in pan on medium-high heat.
2. Add shallot. Cook until slightly translucent.
3. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add to pan and brown.
4. Stir in tomatoes and beef stock. Season with garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, Swiss Chard, and remaining salt and pepper. Stir in red wine. Sprinkle with aromatic bitters.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
6. While stew is cooking, chop up carrots and celery. I prefer to leave the skins on my carrots because they have a better flavor that way. Drain mushrooms and rinse. Add the garlic from the mushrooms to the pot. Set aside the chopped ingredients until timer is done.
7. Add carrots and celery and cook for ½ hours.
8. Add mushrooms and stir to mix. Add new potatoes on top to last 1/2 hour of cooking. Cook for ½ hour.
9. At the end of the last ½ hour, whisk up ¾ c. water and 3 T. Flour (like making scrambled eggs) in a 1 cup measuring cup. Push all the ingredients to side of Dutch oven and pour flour mixture in open hole. Heat to boiling and whisk 3 minutes till gravy is tight. You may want to tip Dutch oven to get all the juices combined and/or add some browning sauce like “gravymaster”. Boil and stir 3 minutes. Let rest, and stir gently to combine.
10. Pour over wide egg noodles if potatoes were omitted.
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
mpau0516 5 years agoCarrots are made best if skins left on [I posted this recipe.]