1. Cut the beef across the grain into thin slices. Add the marinade ingredients, adding the cornstarch last (use your fingers to rub it in). Marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
2. While the beef is marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables: for the sauce, mix together the oyster sauce, light soy, dark soy, and water in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In another small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water thickener and set aside.
4. Wash and drain the broccoli. Cut the stalk diagonally into thin slices. Cut the flowerets into 3 or 4 pieces. Crush the garlic.
5. Heat the wok and add 1 cup oil. When the oil is medium-hot (between 300 and 325 degrees F.), add the beef. Blanch the beef by letting it lay flat for 30 - 40 seconds, and then stirring to separate the pieces. Remove the beef when it changes color and is nearly cooked (the entire process takes 1 - 2 minutes).
6. Remove the beef from the wok and drain on paper towels. Clean out the wok with paper towels.
7. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the crushed garlic and stir fry briefly until aromatic.
8. Add the broccoli, sprinkle the salt and sugar over, and stir fry briefly, turning down the heat if necessary to make sure it doesn't burn. Add the 1/2 cup water, and cook the broccoli, covered, for 4 - 5 minutes, until it turns a bright green and is tender but still crisp. Remove from the wok and drain.
9. Clean out the wok and add 2 more tablespoons oil. Add the vegetables and the beef. Add the sauce and cornstarch mixture in the middle of the wok and stir quickly to thicken. Mix everything 0together and serve hot over steamed rice.
This is a family staple! It's always popular, and can be prepared in under 1/2 hour!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (325g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 766 (82%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 85.1g||113 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.5g||52 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 56.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 12.6g|
|Cholesterol 56.1mg||17 %|
|Sodium 601.1mg||21 %|
|Potassium 669.6mg||18 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 27.6g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||14 %|
|Sugars, other 24.2g|
|Protein 20g||29 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 938
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe