1. Prepare couscous as per directions on the package. Set aside. You can also replace couscous with rice or quinoa if you like. I love to use my left-overs in this recipe.
2. Set a large pot of water to boil.
3. Carve out the top of the peppers with one careful slice, remove the seeds and wash well. Make sure the peppers are solid without cuts or bruises, so the stuffing will go in easily. Drop the peppers into the boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Remove them from water and set aside. Do not overboil or peppers will fall apart.
4. Chop the onion and mushrooms and brown in a skillet with some olive oil.
5. Add ground beef, 1 tbsp paprika, salt and pepper to taste and cook stirring frequently.
6. Heat the oven to 375 F.
7. Add a bunch of freshly chopped dill and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, stir well and cook until beef is cooked through.
8. Add the couscous to the beef and mix well.
9. Cover a large baking pan with half a small jar of pasta sauce.
10. Place the peppers on top of the sauce with the open side up. Stuff each one with the beef/couscous mixture. Generously spoon the rest of the tomato sauce on top.
11. Cover the baking pan with tinfoil and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
Despite the multiple steps and pots/pans involved, the recipe is very easy to make and it is absolutely delicious. The stuffed pepper recipe is a great option when you have left-over ground beef or rice/couscous and you need a creative cooking solution. You can now feed an entire family!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (616g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 552 (58%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 61.3g||82 %|
|Saturated Fat 22.2g||111 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 22.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.2g|
|Cholesterol 170.1mg||52 %|
|Sodium 222.3mg||8 %|
|Potassium 1156.8mg||30 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 54.7g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||30 %|
|Sugars, other 47.2g|
|Protein 45.3g||65 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 954
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe