A wonderful blend of flavors- perfumes the whole house. Perfect for company, since it can be made the day before. Everyone raves about it! I've doubled and tripled the recipe with success. It's from a 1998 Bon Appetit and Recipe #50881 that I've posted goes well with this--spoon some of the veggies and sauce over the polenta. Wonderful !!
1. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in heavy, large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Working in batches, add lamb to pot and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
4. Transfer to bowl.
5. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil from pan.
6. Add onions, carrots, and garlic to pot and saute till golden, about 10 minute.
7. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
8. Return lamb to pot, pressing down to submerge.
9. Bring liquid to boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover.
10. Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
11. Uncover pot; simmer till meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.
12. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, cover, and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Transfer lamb to platter; tent with foil.
13. Boil juices in pot till thickened, about 15 minutes.
14. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over lamb.
time to make 3? hours 30 min prep
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (648g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 379 (57%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 42.2g||56 %|
|Saturated Fat 20.6g||103 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 15.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 366.6mg||113 %|
|Sodium 713.5mg||25 %|
|Potassium 1192.2mg||31 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.6g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 14.4g|
|Protein 29.7g||42 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 661
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe