Ready in 45 minutes
Try this Braised Lamb Shanks with Merlot Wine Sauce recipe, or contribute your own.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil.
3. Season lamb and flour with salt and pepper; dredge lamb in flour and place lamb in Dutch oven. Add tomato paste and brown shanks well on all sides.
4. Add wine, vegetables and both kinds of stock to the pan; cover and bring to a boil.
5. Place in oven on center rack and braise for 1-1/2 hours.
6. Remove lamb from pan and keep warm.
7. Strain the sauce through a strainer. Degrease sauce and add seasoning. Reduce if necessary.
8. Place lamb on platter and serve with fresh rosemary.
Jnp809 1y agoI was suspicious of the cooking time and wish I had followed my instincts. Meat should braise for twice as long if you want that fall off the bone texture that shanks should have. Also this has little to no flavor. If you want to bother making this, make sure to add plenty of herbs and salt to the broth, but I wouldn't bother.
LindyLee 7y agoIt took twenty minutes to prep and brown the lamb and chop the veggies. it took ten minutes to thicken the sauce at the end of the cooking cycle. The merlot really made the sauce. I did take the liquid from the dutch oven and reduce it further by maybe a fourth to thicken the sauce, but it would not have ben necessary.
vogelap 10y ago[I posted this recipe.]