1. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together in a roomy bowl and make a well in the centre. After that, whisk the buttermilk and water in a jug and gradually whisk into the bowl.
2. Slowly incorporate the flour with each new addition of liquid. Add the eggs a little at a time until you have a smooth batter.
3. Place a large, solid frying pan over a medium heat, add 2 tsp lard and heat it until the fat shimmers. Using 1 tbsp batter per pancake, place two or three spoonfuls into the pan.
4. They will take about a minute to turn golden brown, turn them over using a spatula and fork, being careful not to splash yourself with the hot fat.
5. Give them another 45 seconds on the other side, by which time they should have puffed up like little souffles, and then briefly rest them on some kitchen paper to absorb any excess fat.
6. Repeat with the rest of the batter, adding some more lard, if necessary. They will keep warm in a low oven, but to enjoy them at their best eat as soon as they come out of the pan.
Although I used butter for frying the first time I made these, I much preferred the flavour when using lard. They seem to taste a little lighter and fluffier, and the butter seems to infuse too much of it's own flavour, thus competing with the delicate acidity of the buttermilk.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (188g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 174 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.3g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.9g||35 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 538.9mg||166 %|
|Sodium 216.6mg||7 %|
|Potassium 230.8mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 26.8g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 26.1g|
|Protein 18.6g||27 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 356
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe