Top-ranked recipe named "Carey's Rich & Creamy New England Clam Chowder"
I have tweaked this recipe a few times over the years and I have to admit that this is by far one of the best New England Clam Chowders you will ever come across. I have yet to taste one like it , although I have tasted many and they were great as well. I feel few people can really grasp the unique flavor that is within a good chowder. This is my very own recipe and I have made it for over 25 years. I have always received great reviews.. please feel free to try as is or to try tweaking it to your palate. CHEERS!!
"Ive recently realized upon reading soem of your comments, that i needed to correct 2 items in my recipe. I did increase the amount of clams and down in the direcrtions it looked as tho I was using just the clam juice and not the clams, thats just absurd. LOL so yes youy do use the clams and the juice depending on how fishy you prefer the taste to be. I would like to sincerely than all of you who have tried and liked my recipe, makes me feel good inside to know others appreciate it as well. again thanks !!
sincerely, E.J. Carey"
1. Saute bacon in soup pot and cook on medium low heat until almost crispy. ( If you have any additional Bacon fat that you have happened to save add 2 tablespoons to this as the bacon flavor makes all the difference.
2. Add onion and celery, cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic, pepper, thyme and chicken stock.
4. Add clam juice , white wine ( if using )or sherry if no wine. carefully stir while still allowing to simmer.
5. Add potatoes, ( the purpose of the 3 sizes is so that some will break down and others will remain whole, giving great texture to chowder.)
6. Cover and let cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick or burn to the bottom of pan.
8. Add Milk and Cream keep stirring carefully.
9. in a separate small saute pan, melt butter and mix flour with it to make a ROUX..
10. Once the chowder is just beginning to come to a slow boil , stir in the roux and let it slightly thicken the chowder. ** Add a little at a time and gauge the thickness based on your preference.**
11. Turn the heat down to very low and let it just set and simmer but NOT BOIL !! for approx 25 minutes
12. ** IMPORTANT ** Add your canned or fresh minced clams the last 10 minutes !! Very important so you don't over cook class. They will become rubbery... Still edible ! Just rubbery lol
total cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Get the free BigOven app on your phone.
Quickly find any recipe anywhere!
carlosbrizuela 2 months agoGreat stuff
sandy_girl_3 1 year agoGreat flavor and texture. Closest to my favorite surf restaurants ive ever had. Next time im putting it in a bread bowl!
ImSamK 1 year agoBest chowder I have ever made. A group of five friends finished the whole batch and some over the course of the night. Mind that there was more than this on their plates. It was just that good. Thank you so much for this recipe!
carlosbrizuela 1 year agoLove this recipe. The only change I make is not adding the milk.
Dkrelleum 1 year agoNot the best clam chowder, but it was good.
tlhauptmann 1 year agoMade this tonight, used fresh razor clams and vegetarian vegetable broth instead of chicken stock cuz that's what I had and this was THE BEST CLAM CHOWDER we've ever had!! It was so amazing. Thank you for a delicious dinner my entire family enjoyed!!
jbcoyote21 1 year agoThe guys on the tugboat loved it!
shanellesundin 1 year agoI made this tonight and added quite a bit more bacon and use fresh razor clams. It turned out AMAZING!!! Thanks for the recipe!
STbre 1 year agoThis turned out wonderful, it was only my second time making clam chowder and my family loved it. Thanks for sharing!
legit760 1 year agoThis was AMAZING ! I added extra bacon and extra clams and it was great :)