I have tweaked this recipe a few times over the years and I have to admit that this is by far one of the best New England Clam Chowders you will ever come across. I have yet to taste one like it , although I have tasted many and they were great as well. I feel few people can really grasp the unique flavor that is within a good chowder. This is my very own recipe and I have made it for over 25 years. I have always received great reviews.. please feel free to try as is or to try tweaking it to your palate. CHEERS!!
1. Saute bacon in soup pot and cook on medium low heat until almost crispy. (If you have any additional bacon fat that you have happened to save add 2 tablespoons to this as the bacon flavor makes all the difference.)
2. Add onion and celery, cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic, pepper, thyme and chicken stock.
4. Add clam juice, white wine (if using ) or sherry if no wine. Carefully stir while still allowing to simmer.
5. Add potatoes, (the purpose of the 3 sizes is so that some will break down and others will remain whole, giving great texture to chowder.)
6. Cover and let cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick or burn to the bottom of pan.
8. Add milk and cream keep stirring carefully.
9. In a separate small saute pan, melt butter and mix flour with it to make a ROUX..
10. Once the chowder is just beginning to come to a slow boil, stir in the roux and let it slightly thicken the chowder. ** Add a little at a time and gauge the thickness based on your preference.**
11. Turn the heat down to very low and let it just set and simmer but NOT BOIL !! for approx 25 minutes.
12. ** IMPORTANT ** Add your canned or fresh minced clams the last 10 minutes !! Very important so you don't over cook clams. They will become rubbery... Still edible! Just rubbery lol
total cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (229g)|
|Recipe Makes: 15 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 333 (76%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 37g||49 %|
|Saturated Fat 20.5g||102 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 112.7mg||35 %|
|Sodium 277.2mg||10 %|
|Potassium 553.3mg||15 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 22.1g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 20.4g|
|Protein 6.7g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 441
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.