Ready in 1 hour 25 minutes
I have tweaked this recipe a few times over the years and I have to admit that this is by far one of the best New England Clam Chowders you will ever come across. I have yet to taste one like it , although I have tasted many and they were great as well. I feel few people can really grasp the unique flavor that is within a good chowder. This is my very own recipe and I have made it for over 25 years. I have always received great reviews.. please feel free to try as is or to try tweaking it to your palate. CHEERS!!
1. Saute bacon in soup pot and cook on medium low heat until almost crispy. (If you have any additional bacon fat that you have happened to save add 2 tablespoons to this as the bacon flavor makes all the difference.)
2. Add onion and celery, cook until translucent.
3. Add garlic, pepper, thyme and chicken stock.
4. Add clam juice, white wine (if using ) or sherry if no wine. Carefully stir while still allowing to simmer.
5. Add potatoes, (the purpose of the 3 sizes is so that some will break down and others will remain whole, giving great texture to chowder.)
6. Cover and let cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
7. Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick or burn to the bottom of pan.
8. Add milk and cream keep stirring carefully.
9. In a separate small saute pan, melt butter and mix flour with it to make a ROUX..
10. Once the chowder is just beginning to come to a slow boil, stir in the roux and let it slightly thicken the chowder. ** Add a little at a time and gauge the thickness based on your preference.**
11. Turn the heat down to very low and let it just set and simmer but NOT BOIL !! for approx 25 minutes.
12. ** IMPORTANT ** Add your canned or fresh minced clams the last 10 minutes !! Very important so you don't over cook clams. They will become rubbery... Still edible! Just rubbery lol
total cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
pattisuMitchell 6d 18h ago
carlosbrizuela 1y agoGreat stuff
sandy_girl_3 2y agoGreat flavor and texture. Closest to my favorite surf restaurants ive ever had. Next time im putting it in a bread bowl!
ImSamK 2y agoBest chowder I have ever made. A group of five friends finished the whole batch and some over the course of the night. Mind that there was more than this on their plates. It was just that good. Thank you so much for this recipe!
carlosbrizuela 2y agoLove this recipe. The only change I make is not adding the milk.
Dkrelleum 2y agoNot the best clam chowder, but it was good.
tlhauptmann 2y agoMade this tonight, used fresh razor clams and vegetarian vegetable broth instead of chicken stock cuz that's what I had and this was THE BEST CLAM CHOWDER we've ever had!! It was so amazing. Thank you for a delicious dinner my entire family enjoyed!!
jbcoyote21 2y agoThe guys on the tugboat loved it!
shanellesundin 2y agoI made this tonight and added quite a bit more bacon and use fresh razor clams. It turned out AMAZING!!! Thanks for the recipe!
STbre 2y agoThis turned out wonderful, it was only my second time making clam chowder and my family loved it. Thanks for sharing!