Top-ranked recipe named "Cauliflower Cheese"
Cauliflower cheese is such quintessentially traditional British food. It appears throughout British food in various guises; an essential side dish at Sunday lunch, a delicious filling for a baked potato and sometimes, even encased in pastry as a pasty or quiche.
Making Cauliflower Cheese is so quick and and makes the most of British cauliflowers which are not only cheap, are available almost year round.
"This was extremely good and just what I was looking to make! I spooned it over boiled fingerling potatoes for a delightful side dish that had no leftovers. Tangy and full of flavor thanks to the mustard, what was left of the sauce was scooped up quickly with the dinner rolls!"- MauraSpeckt
Heat the oven to 395F/200C/Gas 7
* Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower and steam whole over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the heat and leave to cool.
* Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan. Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated. Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
* Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed. Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes) If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
* Break the cauliflower florets from the thick, central stalk taking care not to break it into tiny pieces. Place the florets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the florets in one layer.
* Pour the thickened cheeee sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered. Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
* Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approx 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
MauraSpeckt 11 month agoMade again just to be delighted once more with the tangy mustardy tastees! This truly is a go to for us and out family! A+
MauraSpeckt 1 year agoThis was extremely good and just what I was looking to make! I spooned it over boiled fingerling potatoes for a delightful side dish that had no leftovers. Tangy and full of flavor thanks to the mustard, what was left of the sauce was scooped up quickly with the dinner rolls!
JerZa 2 years ago
skiesrblue 2 years agoLovely...perfect ingredients... I just added some frozen peas and it adds some texture and green.......
Beklaud 2 years agoYum!!!! Followed the recipe to the letter, although added milk slowly- too nervous to add all in one go. It was perfect, just like my British mum makes ?
TheGrip 3 years agoSuper recipe that turns out perfect every time! Great comfort food dish. Very tasty and great as a main or side dish.
ChunkyDink 4 years agoThis was great, I added extra cheese! yummy.
elliehadyoon 4 years agoSimple but yet effective. Considering I have never cooked cauliflower cheese before, the 6 people I cooked it for loved it!
Cayteeh 4 years agoExcellent and easy to follow - made this in no time at all and at short notice, even changed a few ingredients as I didn't have everything in stock - will definitely make this again!
IanC 5 years agoPrep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes [I posted this recipe.]