Cauliflower cheese is such quintessentially traditional British food. It appears throughout British food in various guises; an essential side dish at Sunday lunch, a delicious filling for a baked potato and sometimes, even encased in pastry as a pasty or quiche.
Making Cauliflower Cheese is so quick and and makes the most of British cauliflowers which are not only cheap, are available almost year round.
Heat the oven to 395F/200C/Gas 7
* Remove the green outer leaves from the cauliflower and steam whole over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove the cauliflower from the heat and leave to cool.
* Place the butter and flour into a large saucepan. Over a low heat stir the butter and flour until the butter has melted and the flour is incorporated. Add the salt and mustard powder and continue stirring for 2 minutes.
* Turn the heat up to medium and add the milk in one go and whisk furiously until all a smooth sauce is formed. Continue stirring until the sauce is thickened and glossy (about 5 minutes) If the sauce is very thick add a little more milk, the sauce should be thick but still runny. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
* Break the cauliflower florets from the thick, central stalk taking care not to break it into tiny pieces. Place the florets in a baking dish large enough to hold all the florets in one layer.
* Pour the thickened cheeee sauce over the cauliflower ensuring all the florets are covered. Sprinkle with grated cheese and a good twist of black pepper.
* Bake in the hot oven until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown on the top, approx 30 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (98g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 1 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 29.4mg||1 %|
|Potassium 296.9mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5.2g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 2.7g|
|Protein 1.9g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 24
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, menu plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe
MauraSpecktMade again just to be delighted once more with the tangy mustardy tastees! This truly is a go to for us and out family! A+3y ago
MauraSpecktThis was extremely good and just what I was looking to make! I spooned it over boiled fingerling potatoes for a delightful side dish that had no leftovers. Tangy and full of flavor thanks to the mustard, what was left of the sauce was scooped up quickly with the dinner rolls!3y ago
skiesrblueLovely...perfect ingredients... I just added some frozen peas and it adds some texture and green.......4y ago
BeklaudYum!!!! Followed the recipe to the letter, although added milk slowly- too nervous to add all in one go. It was perfect, just like my British mum makes ?4y ago
TheGripSuper recipe that turns out perfect every time! Great comfort food dish. Very tasty and great as a main or side dish.5y ago
ChunkyDinkThis was great, I added extra cheese! yummy.6y ago
elliehadyoonSimple but yet effective. Considering I have never cooked cauliflower cheese before, the 6 people I cooked it for loved it!6y ago
CayteehExcellent and easy to follow - made this in no time at all and at short notice, even changed a few ingredients as I didn't have everything in stock - will definitely make this again!6y ago
IanCPrep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes [I posted this recipe.]7y ago