Ready in 45 minutes
A thorough guide to Pad Thai by Pim.
Preparing the Sauce:
1. Melt Tamarind, Fish Sauce and Sugar together in a small pot over a low flame.
2. Taste and adjust the flavor balance until suited.
3. Add chilli powder to taste.
4. Turn off the heat and let the sauce rest.
Soak noodle in warm water until it's softened.
Make sure the wok is well seasoned.
1. Heat a large wok over high heat until very hot, to the point of smoky.
2. Add a splash of oil, about 3-4 tablespoons. Don't be shy, this ain't no diet food.
3. If you are making chicken Pad Thai, add the chicken first, cook, stirring vigorously, until it's half way done, about 1-2 minutes, then add the tofu, a tablespoon or two of the sauce to flavor the chicken, and a pinch of garlic if you're using it. If you are making tofu or shrimp and tofu Pad Thai, then only add the tofu (and garlic) for now. Cook for another minute until the tofu is crisp and slightly brown at the edges.
4. Add the noodle, about 2 loosely packed cups for one portion is my standard, and then a ladle (about ?cup) of warm sauce. Stir rigorously, keep everything moving in the wok, and cook the noodle until soft. Remember to break up the noodle and don't let it lump together. If the sauce evaporates too quickly and your noodle isn't quite ready, sprinkle a bit of water and keep stirring. Add a bit of oil if the noodle still stubbornly sticks together. As I said, this ain't no diet food.
5. When the noodle is ready (taste it to be sure), push it up to one side of the wok and crack an egg into the middle. Let it set for 10-15 seconds and toss everything all together.
6. Add the shrimp meat, pickled turnips, ground peanuts, ground dried shrimp, beansprouts. Keep things moving. Add more sauce if it looks a little pale.
7. When the shrimps are done, shouldn't take more than a minute, add a handful of Garlic Chives. Turn the heat off, and quickly give the wok a good stirring to mix everything together.
8. Add the finished Pad Thai to a plate and serve to your first lucky dinner guest. Give the used wok a quick rinse with warm water, wipe off any excess bits of food with a warm towel, then put the wok back on to the fire.
9. As soon as it heats back up to a smoking point, you're ready to do another portion. Repeat this process until all your dinner guests are fed. Keep them lubricated and happy with ample supply of Riesling, Champagne, and/or beer while they wait.
Find more information here: http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2007/01/pad_thai_for_be.html
Ephij 4y agoGreat intro to pad Thai! Easy, and delicious.
IvySue 5y agoAs written here, this recipe didn't work out for me. There were ingredients missing from the ingredients list (as noted in another review - I wish I'd read that first) and some of the instructions are incomplete. I recommend you go to Pim's website to get the full instructions. I'll be doing that to see if I get better results the next time I make it.
Lisa831 5y agoI was completely disappointed in this recipe. My husband ate primarily at a Thai restaurant when he was stationed in South Korea for a year, and Pad Thai was his favorite. I found this recipe and was excited to try it. 1/2 c of fish sauce is WAY too much! I don't know how I'm the first person to bring up how ridiculously salty this recipe was. Next time, I'll try a more authentic recipe.
Techpart 5y agoUse lots of bean sprouts. I prefer two eggs. Break up tofu before adding. Watch for oil splatter when adding tofu. I added it as a chunk and had to clean up to the ceiling!
deneneb 6y agoWonderful, the key is making the saUce ahead. Check pim's web blog for more detail o n the process
yxu9333 7y agoPerfect just as is!!!
MaryLander 8y agoThe ingredient list is missing some of the (necessary) ingredients that are included in the preparation instructions, specifically the fresh shrimp, ground dried shrimp and chai po (preserved radish). Just a warning that you'll have to figure out on your own how much to use of these three ingredients.
stevemur 9y ago[I made edits to this recipe.]
Hellrose 9y ago[I posted this recipe.]