Ready in 55 minutes
A variation on Chicken Cordon Bleu or Chicken Parmesan, baked so it is lower in fat. Use your favorite jarred or canned sauce, or make your own. Serve with your favorite cooked pasta
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Coat an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a shallow bowl, beat egg with just enough water to thin it a little. Set aside.
3. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl, and stir in dried basil. Set aside.
4. Place 1 chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet until about 1/4 inch thick, being careful not to pound holes in chicken; repeat with 2nd breast.
5. Remove plastic wrap and place 1 slice of ham on each breast.
6. Place one piece of cheese on the narrow end of each breast. Roll breast up jelly-roll fashion, and secure ends with toothpicks.
7. Dip breast in egg mixture and coat all sides. Roll in bread crumbs until well coated. Repeat with 2nd breast.
8. Place in baking dish and LIGHTLY spray with cooking spray (or an oil mister). This will help coating brown.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
10. Remove toothpicks and place on plates. Top with some heated pasta sauce and some shredded cheese to garnish; serve.