Ready in 40 minutes
A brothy hearty, low-fat, Tex-Mex soup that is quick-to-fix and that seems to be enjoyed by both kids and adults. My family loves it with corn bread.
1. Turn oven on to 300, chop tortillas into bite size pieces.
2. In medium stock pot, saute onion and garlic with olive oil.
3. Add chicken broth, chicken, chili powder and oregano.
4. When chicken is cooked through, shredd or chop and return to pot.
5. Add crushed tomatoes, corn, green chili peppers, black beans and 1/2 of cilantro.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes or more.
7. While soup simmers, place tortilla pieces in oven on a cooking sheet and brown.
8. Monitor browning tortillas periodically.
9. Serve with browned tortilla pieces, avocado slivers, green onions, shredded cheese and sour cream as toppings
Serve with corn bread.
The browned torilla pieces is what makes this soup special. You could opt for tortilla chips, but they really don't compare to the lightly browned, yet still chewy torilla pieces.