Chick peas are often referred to as Garbanzos or chana and are a good source of proteins. They come in two or three varieties. The most popular are the fairly large white chick peas often called Kabuli Chana, the small dark brown variety or a strange almost greeny colour.. They can be cooked in lots of different styles and also served with rotlis, puris or bhaturas. They can also be eaten boiled in salads or bhels or even fried to be eaten as a snack.
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance
2. Add the 2 tablespoons cooking oil to this, add the cloves and cinammon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
3. Add the potatoes, stir well and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
4. Add the garlic and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.
5. Add all the spices, lemon and jaggery to the tomato mixture.
6. Cook all the ingredients until the tomatoes go soft and homogenous.
7. Add the boiled chick peas to the mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
8. Remove the chick pea curry to a serving dish and sprinkle it with some chopped onions, green chillies and coriander.
9. Some people add tamarine sauce to this curry but this is an acquired taste so do add tamarine if like me you like the sweet and sour taste.
10. This curry should be served hot with any of the Indian breads.
11 You can also serve this as a starter by serving it as a topping over Alu tikkis. (Alu tikkis are potato pattis stuffed with peas).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (118g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 245 (79%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.2g||36 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.6g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 14.9g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 12.2mg||0 %|
|Potassium 396.9mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.6g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 14.1g|
|Protein 2g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 311
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe