We’ve been making the original recipe of this pie for 10 years. After a day of overeating, the lightness of this pie is just what the Doctor ordered for the last course.
It wasn’t hard to turn a pumpkin pie into an Indian delight. Squash and pumpkins have been in India for centuries. The filling's cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom are staples in Indian cooking already. We simply added chopped coconut to the crust and boosted the ginger profile with the addition of crystallized ginger into the filling and as a garnish.
Here’s what you do:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Make the crust: In a food processor grind gingersnaps, almonds, coconut and sugar fine and add butter, blending until combined well. Press mixture onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (1-quart) glass pie plate. Bake crust in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden around edge, and cool on rack.
2. Make filling: In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over brandy, rum, or water and let stand. In a heavy saucepan whisk together milk, brown sugar, yolks, pumpkin, spices, and salt and cook over moderately low heat, whisking, until mixture registers 160°F. on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat and immediately add gelatin mixture, whisking until gelatin is completely dissolved.
3. Transfer filling to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool, stirring constantly, just until the consistency of raw egg white. Remove bowl from ice water.
4. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat cream until it holds stiff peaks and whisk about one fourth into filling to lighten.
5. Fold in remaining cream gently but thoroughly and pour filling into crust. Chill pie until set, at least 3 hours and up to 24, covered with plastic wrap after 1 hour.
6. Top each serving with whipped cream and garnish with chopped crystallized ginger.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (162g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 190 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 21.2g||28 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.4g||47 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 135.5mg||42 %|
|Sodium 199.4mg||7 %|
|Potassium 261.2mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 54.2g||16 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24 %|
|Sugars, other 48.2g|
|Protein 7.1g||10 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 436
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.