1. To make the rice, heat a medium pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil, once around the pan, then add the rice; stir to coat the rice in the oil and toast lightly, for about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, then add 2.5 cups of chicken stock and bring up to a bubble. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, until the rice is tender.
2. To make the chili, preheat a medium soup pot over medium high heat with the remaining 2 TBS of oil. Add the chunked up chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on all sides for about 3-4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot to a plate and reserve.
3. Add a drizzle of oil to the pot and add the onions, garlic, 3/4 of the jalopenos, and bell peppers. Season with the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Dust the vegetables liberally with the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute. Sitr in the remaining 3 cups of chicken stock to the vegetables. Bring to a bubble and then stir in the corn and add the chicken back to the pot. Turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
4. While the chili is simmering, make the spicy citrus salsa. With a paring knife, cut the peel and pith from the oranges. Cut the peeled oranges into disks and then cut the disks into quarters. Toss the oranges in a small mixing bowl with the remaining jalapeno, a little salt and pepper and 1 TBS of cilantro. Stir to combine.
5. Once the chili has simmered for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and add the lime juice, remaining cilantro, and the chopped parsley. Taste and check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. If you want a little more heat, throw in a couple dashes of hot sauce.
6. Fluff the tender rice with a fork and divide it among 4 serving bowls. Top each portion of rice iwth some of the chili and garnish with a heaping spoonful of the spicy citrus salsa.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (894g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 390 (38%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 43.4g||58 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.5g||53 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.9g|
|Cholesterol 168mg||52 %|
|Sodium 1883.3mg||65 %|
|Potassium 1133.6mg||30 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 102.7g||30 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8.8g||35 %|
|Sugars, other 93.9g|
|Protein 53.8g||77 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1013
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.